Thursday, April 16, 2009

Burger King Texican Whopper Brings Taste, Race to Nation’s Attention


Last time I checked, I lived in the United States of America, where we value freedom (which isn’t free, by the way) and kick ass at basically everything we do. So I don’t get why Burger King – an American institution – is being attacked by Mexico’s ambassador, or “el embajador”, for an ad for its new Texican whopper which depicts a small wrestler draped in the Mexican flag hanging out with an American cowboy. Apparently Mexico has some strict rules about how their flag can be used and, according to the Associated Press, this ad has Mexicans’ pantalones all in a twist.

Personally, I think the message got lost in translation. This advertisement is not a message of hate, but one of love. The cowboy, his horse, and the Mexican wrestler are depicted as roommates, and apparently Mexicans are uncomfortable with interracial (and interspecies) friendships. I never realized Mexico was so racist. And I guess that’s okay for them, but here in America, we value diversity (at least in hiring decisions and the creation of school districts).

Nor is BK guilty of endorsing the Mexican stereotype of a small but spicy wrestler. I don’t know one Mexican athlete (and, no, soccer doesn’t count). Everyone knows Mexicans wear sombreros, eat tacos, and drink tequila while lounging by a cactus. So I fail to see how BK could have possibly insulted Mexicans by depicting them in a relatively positive light.

Consider the tagline: “The Texican Whopper, the taste of Texas with a little spicy Mexican.” Not only does that burger sound delicious, but it really makes me want to reach out a friendly hand to our southern neighbors and thank them for their tasty influence. Gracias, Burger King, for opening my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment