Monday, March 23, 2009

Some people work for a living

To be honest, I have to give my dad credit for this breakthrough. Several times a week for years and years he has reminded my sister, my brother, and I that some people do in fact work for a living. The power of his message is enhanced by its versatility. It can and has been used in a multitude of situations.*

“Hey dad, you want to go grab lunch and hit a movie tomorrow?”
“Sorry, Steve, some people work for a living.”
“Oh great point. I hadn’t thought of that. Maybe next time.”

“Hey dad, have you seen my computer?”
“Hilarious, Mary. Some people work for a living.”
“Wait what? How does that apply?”

“Dad, do some people for work for a living?”
“You know Joe, some people work…wait what did you ask?”
“Ahhhhhhhh.”

I poke fun at my dad, but he’s right. Some people do work for a living. Some work construction. Some are teachers. Some work in tech support. The list goes on. There are literally dozens of occupations. Never should have doubted you, dad.




*In the spirit of full disclosure, my dad has said this maybe three times in the past few years and I choose to beat this joke into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment